Friday, November 19, 2010

A New Beginning - Life after Hyper Island

So as some of you already know, I recently took the Hyper Island 3-day master class, a pretty intensive digital immersion seminar. And i have to say, aside from tv shoots in exotic locations :), it was probably the most inspiring and exciting experience in my 20+ year career. Going into it, I was expecting a very technical experience, one that I feared would leave me scratching my head. But as I quickly learned, while I might not be working as much in digital as I'd like, I'm certainly living in it. And quite comfortably, I might add. In fact, it's become everyday life and the hesitation to embrace it is like denying gravity. What's at the core of digital? It's not so much the technology or the medium, but an evolved view of the user and the value of connection. From my perspective, I don't think those elements are new to my thinking and my career. And I've been blessed to work with many other curious creatives, account folks, planners, even clients, who'd probably agree. Now, we have new and better tools and evolved strategies...less communicating to, more connecting with. In short, I left Hyper Island extremely excited by the possibilities. My "ah ha" moment was the realization that while I'm not a techie or a programmer, I don't have to be. I simply need to apply my creativity in new ways, and I can do that. I love to do that. There are new tools to play with. More creative ways to connect. More interesting options coming along every day. In truth, the digital revolution is a true creative person's dream come true, not a death sentence. And while I might not have been an early adopter, I'm here now and I think my best work's ahead of me, not behind me. In closing, if you have any confusion or hesitation about the role of digital and social media, take the Hyper Island class. Even if you don't, take it anyway. You'll drink the Kool Aid. And it tastes really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment